Monday, September 28, 2020

Flash Forward #5


Chapter Five: Reunion

Scott Lobdell – Script
Brett Booth – Pencils
Norm Rapmund – Inks
Luis Guerrero – Colors
ALW's Troy Peteri – Letters
Doc Shaner – Cover
Inhyuk Lee – Variant Cover
Ben Meares – Associate Editor
Paul Kaminski – Editor
Ben Abernathy – Group Editor

Our cover shows Wally West sitting in the all-powerful Mobius Chair with his ... mind exploding ... in a rainbow of multiverse knowledge? I don't know. The whole concept of this just angers me. Supposedly, the purpose of this mini series was to redeem Wally after years of being neglected and abused by DC. But to try to redeem him with Lobdell and Booth? Yuck. And the Mobius Chair? Why? This is making things way more complicated than they need to be.

Luckily for me, this is a Bart Allen blog — not a Wally West blog. So I don't have to really talk about this series. True, I am a bit offended that Bart had no role in this series, but it does seem like I've dodged a bullet here. So anyway, why are we here? Well, Impulse did make one tiny cameo in a rather glorious two-page spread that recaps Wally's entire career.


At the center of this is our old friend from the Dark Multiverse stories, Tempus Fuginaut, because ... Multiverse! I guess. I don't really care. I still don't like Booth's artwork, but this is a very nice spread. Mostly it's the nostalgia factor that makes this enjoyable, but hey, sometimes nostalgia is all we've got.

Well, before I'm tempted to begin to recap this mess of a story, let's head straight to the ads:

DC heroes get a classic fairy-tale twist! Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime.

Once an assassin. Now a hero. Shadow of the Batgirl.

DC Nation Spotlight on Wonder Woman #750. DC Rebirth reestablished the legacy numbering for Action Comics and Detective Comics, but nothing else. I'm glad they finally started doing the same with some other titles, including The Flash.

Next time, another quick cameo in Dial H for Hero #11.

No comments:

Post a Comment